Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

what i do for a money-free fun day

deep-clean our house.  i clean our house every single day, but there are spots that i still miss.  this is the perfect time to tackle those elusive areas such as above kitchen cabinets, windows, tile grout, light bulbs, et cetera.

wash interior walls.  who needs a new paint job when you can wash your walls?  i do this with a bucket of dish detergent and water mixture.  the trick is to use a large-sized sponge and to rinse any remaining residue completely.  i also use a mop with extra long handles for high walls.  your space will instantly look brighter.

rearrange furniture.  rearranging furniture creates an air of "freshness" to the space.  it challenges me to create new layout that is visually pleasing, and at the same time, improves traffic flow.  moving furniture also wakes up their stagnant energy.

give wooden furniture some tlc.  i polish all our wooden furniture with a special concoction of canola oil and various essential oils from human heart nature.  the smell alone is very relaxing and makes me smile.  i also treat my collection of acacia dishware and other wooden kitchenware with a healthy dose of virgin coconut oil to prolong their lifespan.

declutter.  there is a sense of freedom whenever i get rid of unnecessary things inside our house.  it's like the house is thanking me for giving it more breathing space.  there's no other way to organize clutter but to remove them completely from your house.

make a "for sale" pile.  designate a part of your garage for all your saleable items.  it will be easier for you to take pictures of them when you finally decide to sell them online.

yard sale.  a bit taxing but the profit is well worth it.  plus, it's a great excuse for me to know my neighbors since i'm a bit shy to initiate conversation with them.  all the unsold items will go to re-store habitat for humanity.

diy projects with supplies available at hand.  my favorite diy projects came from a limited supply of materials.  i sold most of them before the year ended because i didn't have enough space in our house.

donate recyclables to friendly scrap collector.  instead of making a profit on my recyclables, i just give them all away to my favorite scrap collector.  his name is kuya berting.  he is such a funny little guy with endless stories about his family and life.

hunt for giftable items.  personally, i don't mind re-gifting as well as receiving re-gifted items.  if someone else will appreciate the gift more than i do, why not?



gardening.  my sister and i are planning to turn our dead backyard to a sustainable garden.  for the meantime, we are digesting all the free information we could get on the internet about permaculture.

dig a deep hole for compost.  it's a bit tiresome to dig multiple shallow holes everyday for our food scrap, therefore this simple move could free me a lot of time and energy on succeeding days.  the sound of extra free time and energy is always fun.

play with my cats.  nothing gives me ultimate joy than playing with my furry friends.  you may also borrow your neighbor's pet if you don't like the responsibility of owning one.

feed stray cats.  stray cats from the neighborhood sometimes end up in our backyard.  watching them comically fight and devour over scrap food is quite fun.  it must be really hard living a stray cat's life.

surprise my little customers.  we have a small variety store and i like to surprise my favorite kiddos with free candies to make their day even brighter.  sure, probably not a good business move, but the joy it brings me is truly priceless.

read books.  i have yet to find a fictional book that i love because i simply couldn't relate with the characters.  however, i try to catch up on my collection of self-help books whenever i get the chance.  reading is like exercise for the brain.

lurk on my favorite blogs.  design blogs are my guilty pleasure.  i could possibly spend the whole 24 hours just staring at all the beautiful pictures on my favorite blogs.  helpful design tips are also a plus.

scan thrift stores.  there are at least four decent thrift stores near our subdivision, which i frequently visit on my spare time.  this idea might not be applicable for a money-free fun day if you will have to fork out cash for gas.

online window shopping.  etsy is a good place to start.  new ideas can pop-up like magic, so i always take down notes and bookmark things that make my heart beat faster.  it is also an opportunity to study what commands in the vintage market and what doesn't.


gratitude.  we are all living in abundance, but our modern culture brainwashed us that we could never have enough.  make a list of all the things you are thankful for.  the more i am thankful about life, the more life gives me the gift of contentment.

look at old photo albums.  you'll be surprised what you can find in there.  i couldn't stop laughing when i happened upon my brother's face when he was still a kid.  thankfully, i'm nice enough not to post it here.

dance like no one is watching; sing like no one is listening.  i have two left feet and a not-so-perfect vocal chord.  these facts, however, double the fun factor.  sorry, neighbors!

long walks.  there is something about long walks that soothes my spirit.  it's like a one-on-one conversation with my environment.  i can feel the gentle touch of air and the whisper of trees.

basic meditation.  i close my eyes and put my hands on my heart.  i then listen to my heartbeat while i breathe slowly.  i often fall asleep whenever i do this though.

daydream.  give yourself permission to daydream because imagination is the first step in making your dreams a reality.  daydreaming is a form of affirmation.

take a nap.  rest is repair.  taking a nap energizes the body, the mind, and the spirit.  it's free and it feels good.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...